Take-out switch still leaves US restaurants under pressure

As bars and restaurants across the United States close or significantly reduce their operations in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses have switched focus to take-out food and drink. Before the outbreak, take-out accounted for 11% of spend in US restaurants, but latest figures from Nielsen CGA’s RestaurantTrak dataset shows that for sites still operational, take-out sales grew 110% in the week ending March 28. Consumer research conducted by Nielsen CGA in the four major states, New York, California, Illinois and Florida, revealed that 66% of people say they have ordered a take-out or delivery in the past two weeks. Nonetheless, even for those restaurants and bars that have been able to stay open, overall sales still fell 77% in the same week.
     

Britain sees the opportunity for more delivered food and drink

With Britain in lock-down, hot food delivery services from restaurants and takeaways are set to have an increasingly important role in keeping the nation fed. The public’s appetite for delivered food has been growing. In the week prior to yesterday’s Prime Ministerial order for the public to say at home, research from CGA showed that just over half (53%) of the public are either currently using, or planning to use, delivery as an alternative during the current crisis, with 13% getting delivery from a restaurant or takeaway either for the first time, or more often than usual, in the last two weeks.
     

Increasing numbers set to stay away from pubs and restaurants

Britain’s restaurants and pubs can expect almost total shut-down next week, with increasing numbers of the public deciding to stop going out because of COVID-19 fears – even if they haven’t already. In a poll carried out by CGA on Wednesday this week, over half (52%) of adults who normally eat or drink out said they had already stopped going to restaurants on Government advice, and with crucially half (51%) of those yet to stop visiting saying they would cease in the coming week.
     

Restaurant, pub and bar businesses left reeling by coronavirus and new immigration rules

Confidence among the bosses of Britain’s pub and restaurant groups has been fractured by the double whammy of coronavirus and the Government’s new immigration policy, a new poll this week reveals. It found that 85% of senior executives across the out-of-home food and drink market said they were now “concerned” about the threat of coronavirus to their business, with 58% of leaders “very concerned”. The snap survey of close to 100 bosses, from small entrepreneurial operations up to the big corporates, was conducted by CGA, the hospitality sector’s leading insight and data provider.